Monday, August 6, 2012

The Day That Never Came

There are a few things about the modern technological culture that I do not think I will ever understand.  One, why does everyone talk like they are reading an eye chart?   "Words" like LOL, TSUF, and OMG are promoting a degenerate, illiterate, and most of all obnoxious society.  Second, why does everyone feel the need to be smashing buttons all day long on a screen?  Having an intellectual conversation, reading a book, or even sitting still are things that our culture today does very poorly, and I believe a big reason why this is the case is because people feel the compulsion to smash buttons on all their many devices all day long.  I believe John Piper said it best when he said “One of the great uses of Twitter and Facebook will be to prove at the Last Day that prayerlessness was not from lack of time.”  It is amazing that Facebook and Twitter have led to people having no form of inner-monologue which means that every random thought, every ridiculous picture taken with a cellphone and bathroom mirror, and every minor incident of every second becomes public knowledge.  Finally, I have never understood why people blog (and am still unsure if I even know what a blog actually is).

It is to this final (rather ironic) point that I turn.  I never before had a desire to blog for many reasons:
  1. I never read any blogs ever, so why should anyone read mine?
  2. I have other things that I would rather do.
  3. I have an addictive personality and am not sure if I could stop if I started.
 As such, one may wonder why a pastor-theologian should start a blog.  After much prayer, I decided to start a blog for the pastor-theologian.  The reason why is because I have a deep love for my Lord Jesus Christ who has saved me through no works of my own and has given me a longing to know Him more.  As a theologian, I desire to know Him and make Him known.  As a pastor of a wonderful congregation and a member of a society that is becoming more and more intolerant of the beliefs and values of the Christian faith, I find it necessary to write responses, as they are necessary, to the matters pertaining to church and culture.  My hope is that this will be of value to the people of my church, community, and to anyone else that desires to have church and culture examined from a pastoral-theological perspective.

So here we go.  This is the day that never came, or at least should not have come!  The pastor-theologian has begun his blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment